31.1.15

Foam Flower Basket Tutorial

Foam Flower Baskets
            Personally for me one of the best things about having a crafting hobby is being able to make little little things for my daughter [she is so super appreciative!! Wink!]. Well all the little flower baskets you see are going to be party favours [ or return gifts as we call them here in India!] for my daughters Birthday in May. Last year we had an Egyptian theme party and you can read about it here : Picture frame tutorial , Scroll Invitation card tutorial , DIY Mummy tutorial ]
I am not a party girl and find organizing parties very very stressful but my little girl just loves to plan even the tiniest details of her birthday party so this year I decided to have a headstart to decrease my birthday party organizing jitters !
Foam Basket
Foam is an ideal material to gift to kids as it can withstand quite a bit of squishing , dropping and tugging without falling apart!  We plan to fill our little baskets with candy to gift the kids! Making these flower baskets were super easy and FUN FUN !

Materials Required
Foam - Though I generally say use thin foam for foam flower tutorials , to make these baskets, thick foam is preferable as you need your basket to be sturdy
  • Cut foam in Flower shape in contrasting colors to make the leafy base and flower basket.The base flower is slightly smaller than the flower used to make the basket
  • Foam strip approximately 1 x 7.5 inch long [ cut from an A4 sheet to foam] to make the basket handle
  • Optional - foam to make foam bows
Glue gun-- indispensable when working with foam!
Scissors- the one you see is the Tim Holtz scissors- I love using it to cut foam as its serrated teeth grasps the slippery foam so beautifully!
Foam Basket Materials
To cut out the  4  1/4 inch dia and 3  3/4 inch dia flower shapes,  I used the 2 largest dies from the Sizzix framelit flower set [ also used in this Interactive Swinging card]
Sizzix Framelits
If you dont have this particular die dont despair... the tutorial works for any hand drawn and cut flower shape...you can even click on the image below [to enlarge it] and trace over the shapes shown below to use as a template
Flower Template
I got the idea for these cute baskets from this site [and she even has proper hand drawn templates]
How to Make the Foam Baskets
Cut the larger foam flower in the groove between the petals towards the center but not reaching it as shown in the pictorial below
Foam Basket tutorial 
Apply a little bit of glue...[not too much or  the excess glue will not only burn you but give unsightly glue marks on your project] on the edge of a petal as shown and overlap an adjacent petal over it and hold for a few seconds!
Foam Basket tutorial 
Keep applying glue and sticking adjacent petals
Foam Basket tutorial
And soon you have a flower shaped basket!My first basket didnt look as neat as this one as I applied far too much glue and it left marks !
Foam Basket tutorial
The green foam flower shape you are going to use as the base for your basket can be left as such or jazzed up a bit with inks and white/ silver pens.
Foam Basket tutorial
Apply hot glue to the center of your base

Foam Basket tutorial
And stick on your flower shaped basket.

Foam Basket tutorial
I made smaller flower baskets and inserted it inside the large one to give a fuller look! You can leave it as such to hold candy or other knick knacks or convert it into a proper basket by adding a handle
Foam Basket tutorial
I used a 1 x 7.5 inch strip of green glitter foam and used hot glue to stick it inside my foam flower basket

Foam Basket tutorial
Since foam is such a malleable material this will be one of the easiest handles you make!
Foam Basket tutorial
Added a scalloped foam die cut [ Spellbinders ] on some of the basket handles .
Foam Basket 
Nothing can beat a "bow" to make something look cute !I used a Life style crafts die to make a glitter foam bow to add to the basket handle.
Bow
My little girl suggested we add pearls to the bows on some of the baskets!

Foam Baskets
Added Tattered lace rose die cuts to glamorize the inside of the baskets.
Foam Flower Basket 
Experimented using felt too and the violet basket you see in the picture below is made of felt!
Foam Flower Baskets
Our baskets are in a riot of colors...and I am hoping the children will like them!

Foam Flower Baskets
My little girl had so much fun coordinating the colors of her baskets  In all we made 21...I think we need to make at least a dozen more!
Foam Flower Baskets
I hope you  like these little Party Favours!
Edited : Where to buy Foam ? : Check local stationary shops and dedicated craft shops listed in this link Craft Supply Stores in India

70 comments:

  1. Hi Sonia, How adorable, great tutorial and I am sure your daughters friends can't wait for thIs years party.
    Have a wonderful weekend, Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Julie...come D day and the children just swoop down!!! Our silent house gets transformed into a hurricane scenario and the fun and laughter lasts a whole year!

      Delete
  2. These are so colorful & adorable! I can never plan so much in advance Sonia :-)..........thanks so much for sharing with us at Lulupu........Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanvi...you dont know the amount of work I will have ahead of me...last year I literally went crazy and the list of children will grow by leaps and bounds as the day nears!!

      Delete
    2. Hehe but I do love the memories I am creating for my little girl!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, Sonia, they are amazing!! The children will adore them!! I love the design and the pretty colors!! As always, your tutorial is fabulous!! Creative and beautiful baskets my friend!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my friend Lisa..there is never a post you dont encourage me!! You are a blessing to our little craft world!

      Delete
  4. Brilliant I love these cute little baskets. If I had Granddaughtrs rather than Grandsons I would be making them for thier Parties.
    That's a lot of baskets to make for a little girls party.
    Have a great weekend

    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe yes I think the little girls would be drooling over them than the boys but my hubby for once did say they looked cute!HAHA

      Delete
  5. How adorable, so very cute and pretty, thank you for the wonderful tutorial too.
    hugs Jacee
    Simply Paper Card Design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jacee...thrilled you liked it

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness - what gorgeous birthday gift favours. Wonderful wonderful! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so gorgeous Sonia, I love them that would be great for easter, thanks for the tutorial
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kevin...ha ha yes they would look good as Easter decor too!

      Delete
  8. You are the queen of foam & glue gunning. Wonderful rainbow of colors.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Melissa...I love working with foam and the glue gun is my go to adhesive while working with foam!

      Delete
  9. They are just darling Sonia.... Perfect for Easter... love all the fun colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Shirl...they would look good with Easter eggs!

      Delete
  10. what a riot of colors,,,looks like the theme is flowers this year Sonia !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suman...my daughter is still swinging between themes but I thought flowers would go with anything...unless she wanted monsters!HAHA

      Delete
  11. Sooooo super duper cute. I may have to fly down there just so I can get one of these. I can already hear d girls oooing and awwwwing on receiving these. Thanks for playing along with the Lulupu 3d with dies challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Kripa...I will save a couple for you!!

      Delete
  12. aww..the baskets are so cute..love the colorful array..the kids will be really happy receiving these beauties for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lavina...hehe they do look too colorful in the picture but seeing them in real is pretty amazing if I may say so myself!!

      Delete
  13. WOW!! Your baskets are Fabulous Sonia. Your daughter and her friends are very lucky..Loz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Loz...my little girl loves them!

      Delete
  14. These are amazing! I think it is wonderful your daughter is planning and enjoying all the little details! Carri~Abusybee
    Skittles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carri...so good to see a comment from you..have missed your visits

      Delete
  15. Wow!! that is some work!!! They look soo pretty Doc! Loved the idea of making the foam ones! I hope your little one enjoys to the fullest on her birthday!!!! I love her idea of going into the details(I might be nearing to this stage soon, so might come up for tips from you) :D


    Thank you for joining us at the Lulupu challenge #45. Good Luck!

    Hugs!
    Manu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Manu...you are an encyclopedia about ideas...you wont need any help from me!!

      Delete
  16. These baskets look so pretty ..they are such a perfect treat for all the little girls and I am sure they will be very appreciated :)...Totally hats off to your planning and creativity I could never do something like this ...I am always short of time and am bad planner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hussena...I wanted to be better prepared this year HA HA!!

      Delete
  17. Those are so cute. I'm wondering if those sizzix dies would work in a cuttlebug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann the sizzix dies will work with cuttlebug

      Delete
  18. Oh these are super cute - I am not a girly girl but I wouldn't mind having one of them..LOL seriously I am guessing you'll have to make more for the moms of your daughter's friends too

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous1/2/15

    These are just adorable! These are truly inspired. Fabulous birthday favors.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are super cute baskets ! Prisha's friends are going to be very happy to receive it for sure :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super Cute Baskets Dr Sonia..will give a try making them.. Love the colors too..Thanks for sharing.. :) you can Mould foam sheets in to any shape and come up with lovely Projects with you magic hands Dr Sonia.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW these are just too cute. You are so creative. These would be great for Easter. Thank you for taking the time to write the tutorial.
    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ Nana's Rag Quilts ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW, Fantastick :-)
    I have spend some time in your blog noe, long time since last time.
    I love your use of bright colors and your work :-)
    Thank you for the inspiration :-)
    Hugs from Gro

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brilliant idea. The colors and the designs are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a super cute idea. Love all the detailing on the baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved the colourful bunch of baskets!! Makes me go Wow!! :) And what more can be fun than when we do for our little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Talk about FUN with Fun Foam!! I just ADORE these darling little floral baskets you've made Sonja!! :) You always come up with some really neat and unique projects! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. very very cute and fun hugs

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great project and tutorial Dr. Sonia! Love the bright colours, makes me think of Spring and Easter. NancyD

    ReplyDelete
  30. Super cute baskets Dr. Sonia.... So what is the theme this year?? rainbow or floral ( seeing the colours just guessed)?? excited to see your thematic decorations...

    ReplyDelete
  31. what darling little baskets!!!
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another amazing idea. These little baskets will go down a treat with your daughter's friends. Colours are so fresh and vibrant. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sonia, Have put up a blog candy. Would love you to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. They are super cute! What company sell the bow die?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen its by lifestyle crafts.There are 5 dies in the set in total

      Delete
  35. what darling baskets, Sonia! xo

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dr. S. What beautiful baskets. I can see them in another material used at the tea. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. Your talents are exceptional in everyway.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your beautiful foam baskets. Thanks for showing how to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am always amazed at your craft projects- that is alot of work and how awesome for a little girl to have a crafty and talented Mommy! I love the colors and the dies inside really add alot to them...! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh the happiness that springs from this post! :o) These are gorgeous and will bring such joy to the sweet little recipients! I love your choice of foam to withstand their eager little hands and of course your design is perfection. I truly love the way your mind and your crafty heart work, my dear friend. The beauty you create is a blessing to us all. :o)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi dear Doc, wow, this is just gorgeous and your tutorials are so clear...love this totally. Sorry have not been around much in between dad turning 102 and my commitment to him plus all my DT cards time slips bye....and the internet has been a right ol' pain since Christmas....xx{The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  41. These are fabulous flower baskets, thank you for the clear instructions.
    You are very organized getting them ready well ahead of time.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  42. fabulous baskets Sonia!! very innovative!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the rainbow colors of array, what a perfect gift to celebrate your daughters birthday, an organized and huge plan in advance:) Love the way you decorated all using foam , felt and glitter sheet. Totally awesome!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Dr. Sonia-these baskets are beautiful! They are so colorful and creative! Wow! Totally love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. All these little baskets are just adorable. Great tutorial my friend. Have a Blessed day, DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Beautiful gift idea Sonia....you have been very busy and what a terrific idea having a breakfast. I hope all went well.

    ReplyDelete
  47. You totally rock !! you are so amazingly creative :) I am so inspired

    ReplyDelete
  48. thanks for the step by step tutorial Sonia
    this is really a sweet things
    I love it and I want to make it
    but sad I have no die cut machine
    love your great idea to make this..
    will visiting you again tomorrow it is 22:27 in germany
    hope you like to visiting me back again :)
    hugs, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow..this is just awesome...so colorful,bright n cheerful.

    Sudha
    sudha-kalra.blogspot.in
    crazycrafter-craftsuppliesshop.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...